Toor dhal with celeriac? Some might think I’ve lost my mind but this is what happens when we are living abroad and we want some taste of home, not easy to get the food we usually cook. Back home we usually use different types of gourds or Brinjal/aubergine in dhal but ait’s said its not usually available everywhere or sometimes its just good to try new things.
As for me I feel like cooking Dhal, soya rougaille, rice and pickles (a very Mauritian dinner).
Oh and I also want to have some gourd in my Dhal. But, but I don’t have any!! I guess I can use the big celeriac that’s in my vegetable basket! Here we go then..
Toor Dhal with Celeriac
1 cup Toor Dhal
1 cup Celeriac
2 cloves Garlic
8-8 Curry leaves
2 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Turmeric
1 tbsp Whole mix garam masala
- Roast the garam masala in a pan. Grind thinly and leave aside to use later
- Fry the chopped onions in oil until softened then add curry leaves then the turmeric.Mix well.
- Add the diced Celeriac and cook for about 5 mins
- Add garam masala, tomatoes and green chilli and give it a good stir.
- Add the pulses,salt and allow to cook for another few mins then cover with water and cook until the celeriac and the pulses are soft. You can add more water if needed while cooking.