This was a new venture for me in the kitchen, today I made my first Seafood and Chorizo Paella infact it’s my first Paella ever and I’m so proud of myself, it was gorgeous! I first had Paella on Thomas’ recommendation in Girona Spain on our honeymoon. I had it again at a big family party in Cactus Jacks (http://cactusjacks.ie/) a few years back. I loved it so much in Cactus Jacks and told everyone so, my lovely mother in law has made me Paella every time I’ve gone to visit her since. I actually made 2 pans but the recipe below describes 1 pan. This amount should comfortably feed 3 (unless you’re feeding Thomas, he ate half the 2nd pan as well).
Let me just take a small side step. I want to tell you something. I love Cactus Jacks, I really do. I’ve only been there a handful of times but every time has been something special. I couldn’t recommend it enough. The food is amazing and I’m just sitting here thinking about it (I’m pregnant don’t forget). In fact, I was having dinner in Cactus Jacks when I went into labour 2 years ago with my little girl Olivia. Actually that’s not entirely true, we started with desert and followed it with 2 starters haha.
Seafood and Chorizo Paella
225g Selection of seafood (Prawns, Mussels, Squids)
250g Paella Rice
2-3 tbsp Oil
1 Onion finely chopped
2 tomatoes Chopped
1 tbsp Paprika
3 Cloves of garlic crushed
1 vegetable stock cube mixed in 3 cups of water
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Saffron
Peas a handful
Lemon or Lime for garnish
- Heat a Paella or a normal pan with oil. Add the chorizo and fry for about 2 minutes then add the onions.
- Add the Squid and 1/2 of the mussels. Cook for a minute or 2.
- Add the crushed garlic, tomatoes, saffron, turmeric and the paprika and cook for few minutes until tomatoes are a little softer.
- Add the Paella rice and mix all together.
- Add the stock but do not mix the rice.
- Cook for 5 minutes in high heat then lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Top the the Paella with the rest of the mussels, Prawns and Peas and cook for another 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked but not sticky.
- Serve with lemon or lime wedges.