It’s the season for soups and stews and you must have you been thinking about making some homemade bread to accompany your homemade soup. But then it takes so long to bake a bread with the yeast, the proving, resting and banging the dough and all sorts right? Wrong, admit it, there’s pleasure in the long process of bread making even if some of us mothers have screaming children to deal with while doing it. If you want to create something special for an after school snack or for the lunch box this is where Pizza or its sister Focaccia comes into its own. They are pretty awesome for these sorts of ideas, add on any flavor of your choice. Some of the common ingredients used in a focaccia are olives, anchovies, sun dried tomatoes and herbs. But then when I make something it has to be a mile from any recipe and tick my own boxes, here I opted for spelt flour instead of white and no yeast. It’s a quick rosemary and sun-dried tomato Focaccia made in under an-hour. Of course the real airy and bready focaccia is a complete different animal but it is an absolute savory bite. Next time I make it there will be Bacon crumbs. I can’t wait!
If you have any such recipes please do share them. I might even try them and share them here.
Easy Rosemary and Sun-dried tomato Focaccia
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
2 cups of plain spelt flour
1 cup of water
1/2 tea spoon of baking powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 sprigs of rosemary chopped
5 table spoons of extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of sun-dried tomatoes
- Preheat the oven at 180C
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT the sun-dried tomatoes and 1 sprig of rosemary into a food processor
- Pulse till all is mixed together
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper
- Pour the sticky mixture onto the tray.
- Tap the tray gently on the table to even out the batter or use the back of a spatula
- Garnish with the sun-dried tomatoes and the rest of the rosemary
- Bake in the oven for between 25-30 minutes. All oven and mixture usually turns out different so keep a close eye after 20 minutes.
- The tester should come out clean.