When I was a child many many years ago, my mother used to cook this aubergine touffer, (braised aubergine almost every week. Know why? It was cheap and she loved it. But I hated it.
This was known as poor people’s food. Many years later, I can eat this aubergine touffer every single day! Know why? it’s cheap and I love it. All four of my children hates it.
Does that stop me from cooking this vegetable? No not a all, I am hoping that in the future they also will love it as I do.
Aubergine is quite a versatile vegetable to cook with, it takes on any flavours you add it with. In Mauritius, there is a famous fresh fish and aubergine curry that is so adored by Mauritians around.
Then, it can be cooked as a vegetarian dish with boiled eggs or chickpeas too.
Do you like aubergine? What’s your favourite way of eating it?
- 2 aubergines
- 2 tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil
- 2 dry chillies
- 1 large white onion
- 3 plum tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- Water, if required
- Wash the aubergines, slice them length size as shown in the picture.
- Heat some oil in a pan, add the onions and the chillies and fry until brown.
- Add the chopped aubergine and tomatoes and season well.
- Stir, cover with a lid and cook for about 25-30 minutes. Keep stirring in between and adding drops of water to prevent it from sticking at the bottom.
- Serve with brown rice and some protein.