BONE BROTH LEMONY COURGETTE NOODLE SOUP
You know sometimes you have the best intention to do everything around for others but deep inside you, there is a cry for help. Exhaustion, irritability and the need to just crash on the couch and catch up with Netflix?
Well, that’s when you know that your soul needs a bit of love. Not spoiled, but gentle soothing love. That’ s when you know it’s time to slow down whatever you are doing and start counting the breaths. Because from here you decide what happens, the day can sour or soulful. It’s all in your end.
For me, if I don’t stop it usually end up fighting with the husband and blaming him for everything that goes wrong with my life! But in fact, I am tired and I just need a break. Do you know what I mean?
It took me years to recognise what was happening after the endless amount of fights, threats to leave and almost leaving.
Thank you, Jennifer my Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and the book The Mindful Way through Depression. I learnt to turn the torch toward me and see what was I doing to help myself.
Days like this, unfortunately, happens regularly as it’s life with kids, study, work, family and newszzzzzzez.
So a few weeks ago, in one of this kind of days, it was time to make dinner and all I wanted to do was get my blanket and get to the couch but at the same time I wanted to eat something good that will save me from the guilt of eating junk (that happens too, trust me). So I decided to cook something very very quick and yet be satisfying to the soul.
I know I had my weekly bone broth in the instant pot, I stood by my fridge looked in for few minutes and took out the spiralized courgette and some chopped up broccoli that I had prepped a few days before. (That’s why when you have some energy, use it to prep some veggies. Even if it’s chopping one head of broccoli).
I through the spiralized courgette and broccoli and let it cook for 10 minutes. Squeeze the juice of a lemon before serving and fried an egg on top. It was absolutely delicious and so quick to make. And it was all I needed; a bowl of soothing soup, couch, blanket and Netflix, After Life.
Now it’s your turn, tell me a time when you felt like screaming in the kitchen and you had to be the grown up and press the pause button. Or anything else you did instead? Common share it with us!
LEMONY COURGETTE NOODLE BONE BROTH
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee/butter
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- about 1-litre good quality bone broth (I make mine from scratch)
- 1 tsp dried oregano or thyme
- 3 large courgettes, in noodles, using a spiralizer or julienne peeler
- 1 lemon
- 2 broccoli head or other veggies
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Gently fry the onion in a large saucepan for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the garlic for a final minute.
- Add the broth, and the broccoli and bring to the boil then straight away turn down to medium heat to simmer 12 minutes or until the broccoli is halfway done.
- Use the time to turn the courgettes into noodles with a peeler or spiralizer. (I had mine already spiralized from the shop)
- Turn up the heat and add the courgette noodles to heat through for 1 minute then take off the heat, taste for seasoning, and serve up with the toppings of your choice.
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- grated lemon rind
- fried egg
- a drizzle of hemp or Udo’s oil
- chilli flakes or extra black pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- Herbs of choice
Here are few more soothing broth recipes
- Asian Flavours Bone Broth
- Ginger and Clove Poached Chicken
- Lemon Grass Poached Chicken
- Mushroom and Pak Choi Broth
- Gingery soothing cabbage soup
LIKE IT? PIN IT FOR LATER!