Beans are an excellent source of protein and spinach is high in Iron and Vitamin C. Celery not only adds flavour here but also helps as a liver cleanse.
White Bean and Spinach Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Number of servings: 6
1/2 tea spoon of coconut oil
4 celery stalk
4 carrots cut into very small cubes
1 white onion
500g white bean soaked overnight then boiled
2 organic vegetable stock cube
3 cloves of garlic crushed
2 inch of ginger crushed
1/2 a can of chopped tomatoes or 2 table spoons of tomatoe puree
300g spinach washed
1 tea spoon of paprika optional
salt & Pepper
- Soak the dry bean overnight.
- Rinse the beans and put them in a pressure cooker and cook up to 4-5 whistles. (Beans should be soft but not mushy.
- Add oil in a big pot.
- Add chopped celery, carrots and onion and cook till soft.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, the stock cubes and paprika if using and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the beans. Season to taste.
- Add about 1/2 litre of water and let all simmer on low heat for about 1hr or till it reaches a rich and thick consistency.
- Add the spinach about 5 minutes before taking off the pot from the heat.
- Serve with soiled brown rice or some sourdough bread.
If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and don’t forget to tag a picture#everydaycookingwithmira on Instagram so we can see what you come up with.