As you all know by now I’m on a mission to reduce my husband’s cholesterol. Cooking low cholesterol and cholesterol reducing meals will get me back in shape after the baby is born so I’m happy too. I came across this cabbage soup recipe from Weight Watchers while scouring the internet for healthy dinner ideas. The mention of cabbage soup doesn’t exactly get the mouth watering but for whatever reason I thought he might like to have it, or maybe I was just annoyed with him that day. Turns out it was a bit of a fancy cabbage soup with the likes of tomatoes, basil and oregano, always a good combo. I’m not only cooking for my husband of course, even if he’d like to think so, I have to cook for a teenager and 2 small ones too. Not to mention the 8+ months pregnant lady I see in the mirror. So, I added some baby potatoes and meatballs to the mix. Incidentally, I used Sesame Rye crackers in the meatballs instead of bread crumbs. Not to be fancy shmancy you understand, I only did it chancing my arm because we had just run out of bread. How creative am I? Naturally I didn’t actually follow the recipe for the soup to the letter, that just wouldn’t be me. I added a big piece of ginger which I believe gave the soup depth and warmth. Hey, I’m always hoping somebody will post pictures and let me know how they got on with trying the recipes I post but I would be also happy to see some modified dishes, triumphs and disasters please. The soup was lovely but to be honest I’m not sure it really needed the meatballs. See yourself, some might find it to light without them.
WEIGHT WATCHERS Cabbage Soup
Recipe Type: Dinner
- 3 cups non-fat beef or chicken
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 celery stick diced
- 1/2 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 carrots diced
- 200 g green beans chopped
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 cups of chopped cabbage
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp basil paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- [b]Sesame Rye Crackers Meatballs[/b]
- 400 g pork mince
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 5 Sesame Rye Crackers crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add in the olive oil.
- Once oil heats, add onions, celery, carrots and garlic.
- Saute for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the broth, tomatoes, basil and oregano .
- Simmer until carrots are almost tender.
- Add cabbage and green beans and simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve immediately with fresh grounded pepper.
- [b]Meat balls[/b]
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well and make little balls.
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add meatballs and fry for 10-15 minutes over low heat.
- Cut one open to check if it’s cook inside.
- Cooking time depends on the size of the meatballs.
You can customize it a bit with the veg.