Baking, the oven and cakes are very new to me. I never saw an oven in my life until I moved to Ireland. Being surrounded by Irish family and friends who are always talking about baking I found myself integrating gradually. I chose to stay with simple and easy baking however. I like the way this warm lemon and syrup cake is not that complicated and so tasty, it could even serve in the desert category plated with baked or poached pears and cream. I only made it last night and it has disappeared already!
Warm Lemon and Syrup Cake
175g Caster Sugar
175g Self raising flour
Grated rind of one lemon
2 tbsp Lemon juice
Baked or poached pears to serve
Juice of 3 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and base-line a deep, round, 20cm cake tin.
- Place all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat well for 2-3 minutes,until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin, spread level and bake for 1 hour or until golden and firm to touch.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. Put the sugar, lemon juice and 5 tbsp of water in a pan. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then boil, without stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn out the cake onto a plate with a rim. Prick the surface of the cake all over with a fork,then pour over the hot syrup. Leave to soak for about 30 minutes.
Serve the cake warm with baked or poached pears and cream.