Habanero and Vietnamese Coriander Marinade
This marinade was made on the spot one evening in my kitchen. Couple of weeks before I bought 3 habanero chilies from my local Asian shop that I rarely visit now. I would usually go there when I have some extra penny to spend, it’s like a treat shop for me. Some will buy sweets as a treat and I buy chillies, huh!. Though I do enjoy just walking around the different aisles they have. African, Mediterranean, Indian.
Yeah so I got the chillies but I was too catious to use it. Specially as my husband doesn’t come home after I finished cooking. I didn’t want to have to touch the kids with my chili hands. Oh did I not say that’s the first time I tasted this chili or even cooked with it.
If you have been following my blog you will know how I usually cook, either in pain, pressure of time or crying kids. I pick what I will cook for dinner but never how I will make it. The how depends on what I want to eat as sson as it’s ready. My humour and the time of course. Hunger makes you do anything! So recipes are often miraculously created in my Kitchen.
Back to this super hot Marinade, it was really really good to begin with, you can have it with my tzatziki dip to cool your tongue down. Having said that, it’s not a bad kind of hot, the herbs and the lime provides that fresh and zingy taste that keeps you want to eat more and more of it . Basil just got lucky as it just happened to be growing beside the Vietnamese Coriander in my green house so I thought I’ll pick some to add to my new creation. The fish sauce however I thought would balance the salty side of a marination that you sometimes need. I think a marination made of such goodness herbs and lime cuts the greasy or bloated feel that you ate left after a BBQ’s. Well feel free to make it with a different chili if you don’t have habanero available.
But please please do wear a pair of kitchen cloves if you are using these chilies. I am not to blame if any part of you is burning. Then at least leave me a comment below if you make it. I would love to know what you think about it.
- 1.5 kgs Chicken (You can use any meat/fish of your choice)
- 1 Habanero Chili
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup of vietnamese coriander
- 1/4 cup of basil
- 1 stalk lemongrass chopped into pieces
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 table spoon fish sauce
- 5-6 table spoons of olive oil
- salt to taste
- Put all the ingredients except the kitchen into the blender to make a paste. A coarse paste is ok.
- Use a tray that can easily fit into your fridge. Put the chicken in the tray.
- Pour the marinade onto the chicken and using 2 spatulas mix it all with the chicken or meat.
- Put the tray in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight. The longer the better.
- Take it out when you are ready to use. Roast in the oven or BBQ.
- Enjoy with rice, salad or potatoes.
- Kitchen Cloves
- 2 Spatulas
- a Blender