Yesterday it was Summer hot in Ireland; We were out in the garden all day. Today, however, is raining and cold. This is what we call the Irish weather. It can be snowing tomorrow for all we know!
When it’s cold, all I want to do is put on my PJs, watch Tv with a big bowl of soup. Forget the watching tv bit when with these kids though. What I did though was made a delicious and comforting casserole for us.
I say casserole here, but this dish is very much a Mauritian la Daube with the twist of the Turkey leg. Usually, La Daube would be cooked with a protein and potatoes. It can be beans with potatoes, fish, chicken or lamb with potatoes. I have never seen two proteins together as in meat and beans in the Mauritian version.
What makes this casserole, La Daube will also be the thyme and the cooking of the tomatoes. If the tomatoes aren’t cooked properly, my mam would say it leaves a slightly sour aftertaste whereas if it’s cooked enough it taste sweeter and richer. The tomatoes should be cooked in some oil for at least 10 minutes then only you can add the liquid.
I made this Turkey leg and cannelloni beans casserole in my Instant-Pot, but you can prepare it on the stove or the oven.
- 2 Turkey Legs
- Generous bunch of lemon thyme or normal thyme
- 1 can of cannelloni beans
- 1/2 table spoon of coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 inches of ginger crushed
- 1 tea spoon of hot cayenne pepper
- Bunch of Fresh Parsley
- Pink Himalayan Salt to taste
- Select Saute in the Instant pot.
- Add the oil to heat then add the turkey leg, thyme and the onions.
- Fry till onions are translucent. Add the tomatoes, crushed ginger and garlic.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or so. This step is very important as this will define the taste of this dish.
- In Mauritian cooking the tomatoes needs to be cooked quite well which is said to reduce the acidity and brings on some sweetness.
- Keep stiring to prevent burning. Now add the cayenne pepper. Using the empty can add 3 cans of water or broth.
- Cancel the Sauteing method and press Poultry or adjust time to 45 minutes of cooking.
- Release pressure from the instant pot then slowly open the lid to add the beans. Close the lid and simmer for another 20 minutes or so.
- Before serving garnish with some freshly chopped parsley.