Greo as we know it in Mauritius is a very common tea time snack. It is also used as an offering in almost every Hindu religious festivals. Every body who makes it makes it differently. There isn’t a clear method of making this pudding from what I gathered when watching those olds grannies making them. I have seen my mam making it too. She makes them so fast. Growing up in Mauritius you have to know Greo and a version of the making. When I moved to Ireland, Semolina pudding is something I was craving so often until I found dry semolina in some Asian shop. I have made it too many times since. Different almost everytime!. Next time I am hoping to try it with cinnamon and banana and walnuts like banana bread.
For today it is a sugar-free healthy protein pack semolina pudding. With loads of seed meal and hey no sugar! Pointless to say that it came out really beautiful. Crushed almonds, dates and coconut.
If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and don’t forget to tag a picture#everydaycookingwithmira on Instagram or Facebook so we can see what you come up with. Till then Keep Well!
Sugar-Free Semolina and Coconut Pudding
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Number of servings: 10
2 cups Semolina
3 cups of milk
1/2 cup of mix ground seeds such as sunflower, pumpkin, flax and chia
3 table spoon of coconut oil
6 cardamon pods peeled and crushed
1/2 tea spoon of fennel seeds crushed
12 dates finely chopped
1/2 cup of grated or desiccated coconut
- Put all the ingredients nearby because this is a move quickly recipe.
- Heat a non-stick pot on the hob.
- Add the coconut oil
- Add the semolina, cardamon and fennel. Keep stirring till semolina gets a slight browness to it. (about 5 minutes)
- Add the seeds, grated coconut, dates and stir again.
- Now this is tough bit where you use both hands together or ask somebody for help.
- With one hand pour the milk and with the other hand stir swiftly. Keep pouring and stirring until everything is combined into a dough time. You can add more milk if there are some dry bits semolina bits left.
- It is now ready to serve.
- I would often put the
- Put the mixture on a loaf dish and press down to help it take the form of the dish. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes the remove from the loaf dish. You can now slice the pudding and serve with a hot cup of tea.
- This semolina and coconut pudding is easily kept in the fridge for upto 3 days.