While shopping in Aldi yesterday afternoon I came across a Slow Cooker. I had never used one before, in fact, I had never even seen one. It was a nice fancy looking thing. As I was standing there admiring it an elderly lady came to tell me how much she loves cooking with it.
She loves it so much in fact that she has 2 of them. I had been wondering whether or not to buy it but she definitely talked me into it. I figured one-pot dinners would be a very handy option at the moment with me being 6 months pregnant with 2 toddlers hanging out of me and a teenager and a husband coming home half starved and demanding to be fed (honestly you’d think they hadn’t eaten the whole day).
At only €19 with the promise of an easier life I didn’t have to think twice, I happily bought it.
For this dish, the prep took about 15 minutes. I chucked everything into the slow cooker at about 13:30 and set it to high. Thomas texted me at 16:00 to say he’s on his way home (that’s code for ‘I’m starving please feed me’).
I checked in the slow cooker and the dinner was nowhere near cooked (apparently it really is a ‘slow’ cooker). I emptied the contents of the slow cooker into a pot and simmered it for an hour before serving it. I wish I had put it on earlier but it all worked out ok.
Recipe for Instant Pot Updated on 27/01/18
- 6 Beef or any other Sausages of choice
- 0.5 kg sweet potatoes Potatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 3 Large carrots diced into small cubes
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 can peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 can chickpeas
- 2 tbsp capers
- (Parsley, Bay Leaves, Thyme and 3 cherry tomatoes from my own garden)
- SLOW-COOKER: Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker. The sweet potatoes at the bottom as they take longer to cook and sausages on top. Add the tomatoes, onions, herbs, and ginger-garlic. Add 2 cans of water or stock then set to cook for about 3 hours on high. After 3 hours, add the sausage and cook for about 30 minutes on high or adjust time depending on the size of the sausage.
- INSTANT POT RECIPE: Add oil and fry the onion, celery, carrots and ginger garlic on the saute mode. Add the tomatoes, cumin and cayenne and cook for another 10 minutes. Add the rest of the sweet potatoes, chickpeas and water and cook for SOUP mode for about 1hour. Switch off the soup mode. Release the pressure out before opening the lid then add the sausage and cook on Saute mode again till the sausage is cooked.