Gardening and growing vegetables has always been a passion of mine. Unfortunately the weather in Ireland is nothing like in Mauritius so I haven’t been able to grow the veg I am used to. On the positive side though summer’s here and we recently got a small green house. We did some planting and with varying levels of success we have been growing our own herbs and vegetables. The Baby radishes were among the first to be harvested, it felt so good to pull them out of the ground, very rewarding. I brought them into the kitchen and tasted the fresh raw radish. I found the flavour peppery and very strong, too strong for a salad. I decided to sauteé them the Mauritian way. They say gardening is very therapeutic but I tell you gardening and cooking the produce of your garden is incomparable.
Sauteed Homegrown White Radish with Leaves
5 white Radishes
Radish leaves chopped
1 Onion chopped
2 Dry chillies (optional)
3 Curry Leaves (Optional)
2 tomatoes chopped
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tbsp
- Cut the leaves off the Radishes and wash them. Scrub the radishes and peel them using a peeler. Cut the radishes into small circles. Roughly chop the leaves.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add onions, dry chillies and a few curry leaves. Add the radishes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Season then add tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped radish leaves.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until leaves and tomatoes are cooked and reduced. Serve!