75 g margarine
Pinch of salt
110g cooked Salmon
50g grated Cheddar cheese
2 eggs and 1 egg yolk
Cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 pint cream
Spinach 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the margarine in small pieces, and then rub it into the flour with the tips of your fingers until the mixtures resemble like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add enough cold water (approximately 3 tbsp) to bind it all together and mix to a fairly stiff dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead lightly.
- Roll out the dough with a floured rolling pin and line a 9 inch flan ring with it. Ensure the flan ring is lighlty greased so the shell casing doesn't stick.
- Set the ring on a baking tray and line the pastry shell with grease-proof paper, then fill with baking beads or uncooked rice and bake in the center of the oven for 12-14 minutes. This will prevent the crust from becoming soggy when you add the filling later.
- After 12 minutes, remove the grease-proof paper and the baking beads/rice, brush the base of the pastry case with egg wash and put back in the oven for 3-4 minutes, until golden.
- Next, melt the rest of the margarine into a pan, fry the onions and thyme for 2-3 minutes and then add the sliced tomatoes and give it a stir and switch off the cooker. (You can remove the tomato skin if it comes out easily)
- Arrange the onions, tomatoes, spinach and salmon in the baked flan case.
- Beat the 2 eggs and yolk together in a bowl, add the cheese and cream and season well. Pour the egg mixture into the pastry shell on top of the onion,tomato and salmon.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh salad.