Are you craving for some fresh and nutritious food after all the indulgence around Christmas? I sure am. I have to say I let it loose this time. Although my cooking was all healthy and nutritious, there were a few boxes of Ferrero Rocher flying over the room. I have to admit; I was the one who ate most of the Ferrero.
Ferrero Rocher is my favourite chocolate, and I just couldn’t resist the temptation or because I knew I wouldn’t be having it again next week. When I am good, I am good.
So to balance the badness (it wasn’t that bad) the cooked meals are being just a little extra nutritious. With more plant-based food that provide more fibre and antioxidants.
This roasted tomato salsa which I usually serve as a side with Red lentil dhal, sauteed green leafy veg and rice is a favourite fresh yet zingy condiment. I have here roasted the tomatoes for about 20 minutes, but your can also make my Mauritian salsa by chopping the tomatoes without roasting.
Side chutneys or salsa can be a clever way of adding a little extra boost of nutrients when planning your meals.
It is best when served fresh, however, keeps in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- 10-12 Vine Tomatoes
- 1 table spoon of olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped very finely
- few sprigs of Fresh coriander leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven at 180C
- Wash the tomatoes and pat dry them using a kitchen towel.
- Put them in a small baking tray
- Drizzle some olive oil
- Roast the tomatoes for about 15-20 minutes
- Let the tomato cool down.
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes.
- Use a fork to mash the tomatoes roughly.
- Remove and discard the tomato skin.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- Serve fresh.