RED LENTIL DHAL IN A PRESSURE COOKER
I love the way this red lentil dhal made under 20 minutes turns into a smooth and creamy textured Asian flavoured delicious. Another opportunity for me to use my so loved pressure cooker. It is an easy to make a dish that will eventually save you a lot of time and stress.
You can add any veg you want from celery, carrot to okra or aubergine or just leave the fancy aside and make a basic dhal. Oil, onion, garlic, ginger, thyme, turmeric, cumin powder, lentils and water, boil in a slow cooker, pressure cooker or a pot and it’s ready. Serve with brown rice or roti.
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 1 table spoon of coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 dry chilli (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/2 inch ginger crushed
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 tea spoon of turmeric
- 1 tea spoon of ground cumin
- sprigs of thyme
- Scallions as garnish
- Add all the ingredients in the pressure cooker add about 4 pints of water.
- pressure cook for only up to 2 whistles.
- Let the air out then open the pressure cooker.
- Check the consistency of the dhal, add some more water if it's too thick. Simmer, then adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Serve with boil brown rice