Oven Cooked Fish Curry
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4
4 whole Tilapia gutted and cleaned Head removed
1 table spoon of coconut oil
1 large or 2 medium size white onions
5-8 curry leaves or 3 bay leaves
1/2 tea spoon of fenugreek seeds
1/ tea spoon of whole garam masala
3 plum tomatoes chopped
4 cloves of garlic crushed
2 inch of ginger crushed
2 table spoon of tomato paste
5 table spoon of curry powder
1/2 tea spoon of turmeric powder
1 aubergine cut into cubes
1 table spoon of pitted tamarind paste (optional)
Salt & Pepper
Coriander leaves as garnish
- Soak the tamarind paste in boiling water.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven cookware. Add the curry leaves or bay leaves. Add the fenugreek seeds and whole garam masala. Toast them for few seconds then add the chopped onions, season the onions. Cook till onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook till reduced.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, tomato paste and about 1/4 cup of water to form a paste with the curry. Stir constantly to prevent from burning. If paste is too dry add few more drops of water. (it shouldn't be too runny like a sauce YET though)
- Keep stirring and cooking the curry till oil starts bubbling on the top.
- Add the aubergine now if using. Add the fish and stir gently to coat the fish with the spices.
- Add water to cover the fish.
- Mix the tamarind with the soaking water and pour all into the curry.
- Simmer in a preheated oven at 180C for about 30 minutes or till fish is cooked.
- Cooking time depends on the size of the fish.
If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and don’t forget to tag a picture#everydaycookingwithmira on Instagram or Facebook so we can see what you come up with. Till then Keep Well!