This simple, fresh and delicious Minted Pea Puree is my favourite side dish at the moment. It takes about 20 minutes to make, and it’s surprisingly tasty. I usually make a big batch of it and use it for almost everything. I mean Everything! On toast with poached eggs, on crackers, as a sandwich spread or just the common way with some roasted chicken, a piece of Salmon or with lamb.
It’s a puree, but the Puree-ness or the consistency depends on the strength of your Blender or the length of time you stand there pulsing. Mine sure depends on my mood.
Let me ask you: where do you stand with pea? Is it too cheap and familiar for you? Do you use it as often?
Whatever opinion we may have about peas, I should tell you know that Peas are a very versatile legume rich in health benefiting Phyto-nutrients, minerals and vitamins. They are also an excellent source of protein and soluble and insoluble fibre. Fresh green peas also good sources of Vitamin C, Folates and Vitamin K. So don’t be afraid of using them.
Peas works well with other complementing vegetables like potato, carrot and onions. I always make sure to grab a bag of frozen peas in my weekly shopping. There have been times; I had like three bags of frozen peas in the freezer, but I don’t regret it. I know it comes handy. It’s rather nutritious and when I there is no fresh greens in the house I go pea.
A few of my favourite way of eating peas are potato and pea curry, pea rougaille, pea frittata and pea salad. All of which I don’t have the recipes for on the blog. I better get working.
- 1 table spoon of coconut oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 500g Frozen Peas
- 125ml vegetable stock
- small handful of fresh mint leaves
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melt the coconut oil in a small pan. Add the onions and cook till lightly brown and soft. Add the frozen peas and vegetable stock and cook till peas have thawed and hot. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer all into a food processor. Add in fresh mint and blend to a puree or to your desired consistency. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Can be served immediately or reserve in the fridge for later use.