Everyone loves a good burger right? Well check out these Mexican Veggie Burgers. I confess even I like a good burger though my daughter thinks I’m a bore when it comes to food with my healthy eating plans. She talks pizza, burgers and chicken wings and I say watercress, nuts and no thank you to sugar and butter. I managed to bring a smile to her face with this one though, a middle ground if you will. She was a little surprised to see what looked like big fat greasy burgers coming from my kitchen. She wasn’t far wrong, they were all burger but without the fat and grease. If the right ingredients are chosen burgers can be guilt free, I used kidney beans in these for protein.
Mexican VEGGIE Burger
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Number of servings: 8
1 tea spoon of coconut oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 white onion finely chopped
2 cans of kidney beans
15 table spoon of flax meal
1 table spoon of cumin powder
1 table spoon of paprika
1/4 cup of coriander
1/4 cup of dill
1 table spoon of lime juice
Salt & pepper to taste
Peri peri sauce (optional)
Bunch of coriander
Greek yogurt(optional) for kids instead of peri peri or ketchup
- Heat a pan with some coconut oil.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and sautee till the onions are browned.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the flax meal in a food processor and pulse for 20 seconds to obtain a chunky paste.
- At this stage the mixture will be quite sticky and loose.
- Add the flax meal gradually with one hand, using the other hand to fold the flax meal into the mixture. Keep adding till the mixture is holding together and less sticky
- Roll 8 little patties and flatten them.
- Use a George Foreman grill to cook the patties for between 10-15 minutes
- Assemble the burger with all the ingredients above