Maca root (lepidium meyenii) is an adaptogen and a member of the cruciferous family, like broccoli and cabbage, but due to it’s unique properties it considered one of the world’s natural “super foods.” Maca is grown high in the mountains of South America, mainly in high altitude regions of Peru. Dr Axe dot com
My Experience with Maca
I have been using maca powder for some time now; it taste quite pleasant. Nutty and chocolate.
When I was suggested to take Maca, it was by a good friend who knew I needed help with balancing my hormones. I was also trying to lose some pregnancy weight at the time.
I have read about the many benefits has, and I had to try it for myself. After months using it, I have to say that my figure has had a drastic change and my mood and anxiety has improved.
I would, however, give it to the fact that I try to eat quite a balanced diet with plenty of fibre and nutrient rich food. So I can’t be definite but that’s with everything.
Although, I would still use maca because it is a whole food and nutrient dense. It can safely be used daily up to 2 tablespoons. I suggest not baking or cooking with Maca only to avoid the heat from damaging the nutrients.
Make truffles or smoothies and enjoy every day!
This smoothie taste equally good if the banana is not frozen. A drizzle of raw honey is also welcome.
- 1 generous tea spoon of instant coffee
- 2 tea spoons of cacao powder
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 2 frozen bananas ( sliced into chunks before freezing it)
- 2 table spoons of maca powder
- pinch of organic ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- Organic Shredded Coconut (Unsweetened) 2 Pounds by Anthony's, Batch Tested Gluten-Free, (2lb)
- Combine the coffee and the cacao powder with the 1/2 cup of boiling water.
- Pour the coffee mixture into a blender.
- Add the bananas, milk, maca powder and the cinnamon into the blender and pulse till it's silky and smooth.
- Divide into 2 classes.
- Optional garnish with some shredded coconut
Some of Maca Benefits are
- Balance Hormones
- Improve Fertility
- Increase Energy
- Weight Loss
I have honestly seen a vast improvement in these areas lately so if you are suffering from any of the above do give Maca a try.
There a few site I recommend you read if you are looking for more info about Maca.