Lemongrass, Lime Leaves and Ginger Bone Broth
Lemongrass is a popular ingredient these days that adds a distinctive flavour to salads, soups and sauces. While I was preparing this dish the aromas that were being released from the ingredients transported me back to my father’s herb and vegetable garden.
Down Memory Line
He was very proud of that garden. In one corner he had a big bush of lemongrass and cardamon, yes cardamon! Beside the cardamon were some ginger root and turmeric.
If you’ve ever walked past a lemongrass bush you will remember the beautiful refreshing smell that fills the air around it. Interestingly though, I only remember lemongrass being used for therapeutic remedies.
Use Of Lemongrass
Fresh lemongrass infused tea with a drop of honey was often taken to treat sore throats. The vapour was also inhaled to promote perspiration and relief from fever.
This is one of my favourite and quick meal to make during the week. I put everything in my Instant pot which also has the slow cooker function around breakfast time. I go on do my work and a soothing, gut healing broth is ready around lunch time.
Lemongrass, Lime leaves and Ginger Chicken In a Slow Cooker or Instant Pot
Lemongrass, Lime leaves and ginger Chicken
- 1 whole chicken 1.7kg
- 1 lemongrass stalk(white part only)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 inches of fresh ginger (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 6 cloves of garlic (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- About 2 litres of water
- Put the lemongrass and the lime leaves at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Mix the fish sauce, chopped ginger and garlic and salt in a small bowl.
- Rub the fish sauce dressing mixture all over the chicken.
- Put the chicken in the slow cooker and set to cook on high for about 4 hrs.
- Add about 2 litres of water.
- After 4 hours, add some green leavy veg such as pak choi, spinach, green beans, or sprouts and
- serve with 100% brown rice noodles or buckwheat noodles, Courgetti and or as bone broth.
NOTE: Serve the noodles and save the bones to make some extra bone broth by repeating the same ingredients