Chicken Tawook is a juicy and tender traditional Lebanese chicken dish that uses a simple marinade of fresh lemon juice, garlic and yogurt. The aromatic flavor is unique. In its most basic form Shish Tawook is just grilled chicken breast, the secret is in the marination. This is an easy way to make delicious Middle Eastern Chicken. I made mine from chicken legs instead of breast which made the dish a little more budget friendly. This chicken Tawook could be a dish fancy enough to serve during this festive season. I’m sure you’ve already been to some Christmas parties and it may be your turn to host one. Have you planned your menu yet? Why not serve this Chicken Tawook? Finding Christmas recipes is not difficult but finding one that works and attracts praise for your cooking skills from your guests is not so easy .
I made this Lebanese Chicken Tawook in my kitchen last week and Oh my goodness it was good. I made this with 4 chicken legs which was enough to serve the whole family but I wished I had some left over. It was that good. I also made some Creamy polenta with goats cheese and pumpkin, yum! Can you believe it? I even managed to put some pumpkin in my polenta! The combination with the goat cheese? Well, let’s just say it was a perfect festive delight. Colourful, Tasty, filling and child friendly too. It will save you a whole day running around the kitchen. This chicken and polenta dish is guaranteed to deliver in taste. You can marinate the chicken the night before and just stick it in the oven for 45 minutes before dinner. The polenta can be cooked while the chicken is in the oven making this a fairly quick dish to prepare. Serve it with some wine and your guests will be so happy. You won’t even use many dishes in preparing this, more time saved on washing up. The chicken will be cooked in one tray and the polenta in a pot or saucepan and that’s it!
- 1 table spoon of olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 21/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of quick cook polenta
- 2 tbsp of goats cheese
- Heat a saucepan with oil. Add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook till onions are translucent. Add the pumpkin puree and cook stirring constantly about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Once the chicken stock comes to boil slowly whisk in the polenta.
- Cook, stirring constantly for about 6-8 minutes or until polenta thickens.
- If the polenta is too thick you can add some more stock.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add the goats cheese and whisk it through.
- Serve immediately
Lebanese Chicken Tawook
Prep Time: 10 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4
4 chicken Legs
1/2 cup yogurt
Lemon zest from 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tea spoon of ground cumin
1/2 tea spoon of ground coriander
1/2 tea spoon of paprika
1/2 tea spoon of black pepper
Salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients except the chicken legs to make a marinade.
- Rub the mixture over the chicken.
- Put it in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 45 minutes.
- Serve with a creamy pumpkin Polenta