I cannot believe it’s summer! Time flies, doesn’t it?
There’s a heat wave predicted for next week in Ireland and I am going to dig out my bikini from the attic. We will have to make the most of the sun and heat while it’s here. It’s Ireland we are talking about after all.
One of my favourite things about the summer is that I get to wear less makeup. Not that I wear much during winter anyway. But the natural light just brings that glow. Less makeup means clear, glowing skin.
Now, don’t get me wrong–I love getting all dolled up for a night out. BUT…when the weather is warm, I don’t want to be bothered with heavy makeup.
I have a few tips from the beautiful Claudia Petrilli a Holistic Health Coach my internet friend.
She says she doesn’t teach miracle methods. A big high five for that Claudia!
What she does teach is how to cut back on sugar (without feeling deprived), eat more whole foods (even with your crazy-busy schedule), fit in exercise that you enjoy (that doesn’t involve hours in a sweaty gym) and how to figure out what all those cravings mean (and how to fix ’em!). You know why I love her work now?
During the summer months, I’m always on the go–whether it’s hitting the beach, sitting poolside or enjoying dinner with my man at one of our favourite outdoor restaurants. I just want to feel confident and have glowing skin.
I’m guessing you want the same, yes?
Bear with me, as this post is a little lengthy. But there are several things that need to be addressed in order to have gorgeous, glowing skin.
Here are my top tips!
TOP THERE TIPS TO A GORGEOUS SKIN FOR SUMMER
The first thing you need to address is your gut health.
Anything that shows up externally is a sign that something is going on internally. So if you have acne, eczema, psoriasis, dark under eye circles, etc., it’s almost always a sign that something isn’t right with your gut health.
“If all disease begins in the gut, then all health begins in the gut as well.”
-Dr. Josh Axe
- Eat whole foods such as fruits, vegetables and lean protein as often as possible.
- Drink room temperature water, preferably with lemon, to promote detox.
- Remove sugar, gluten and dairy from your diet. All are highly inflammatory and have been linked to cysts, tumors, acne and skin disorders.
- Eat probiotic foods like sauerkraut, dark chocolate, kefir (preferably goat’s milk), miso, pickles, kimchi, and kombucha. You can also take a daily probiotic supplement.
- Cleanse the body with liver-cleansing foods, herbs and spices such as: beets, garlic, leafy greens, avocados, olive oil, broccoli, cauliflower, walnuts, cabbage, flax seeds, parsley, turmeric and cinnamon.
The second thing you need to address is your stress and sleep.
- Ensure you get 7-9 hours of sleep per night. And if you can swing it, take a 15-minute nap during the day.
- Power down from all electronics at least an hour before bedtime.
- Stay away from people who cause you anxiety or stress (I couldn’t be more serious about this–life is too short to deal with assholes who cause unnecessary stress).
- Meditate, do yoga, go for a walk, write in a journal, take a bath, light candles or massage yourself with essential oils. Do whatever you need to do to feel good and relieve stress–daily.
The third thing to address is the skincare products and makeup you use.
Since your skin is your largest organ, anything you put on it will be absorbed in less than 30 seconds and make its way into your bloodstream. Pretty nuts, right? So, it’s really important to choose products that are free from parabens, lead, formaldehyde, phthalates and other known toxins.
It’s not always super easy to get 100% organic products, but please try your best. Here are my favourite products, from soaps to blush.
- African Black Soap Bar (great for clearing out pores)
- Coconut Oil (I use this as a moisturizer for my face and body)
- Avocado Oil (this is great for eye makeup removal, as it moisturizes and helps to prevent crow’s feet)
- Castor Oil (this is great for cleansing pores and for hair growth–like those eyebrows that won’t grow back in from all those years of over-plucking)
- Enzyme Exfoliating Peel (this should only be used 1-3 times per week)
- Deep Pore Cleansing Clay Mask (this combined with apple cider vinegar is da bomb)
If you’re eating healthy, managing your stress, sleeping well and using healthier cleansing methods (as outlined above), don’t ruin all your efforts by applying toxic make-up!
Here are my current favourite makeup products that are pretty safe and rank fairly low on EWG Skin Deep (in the order I apply them!):
- CC Cream Foundation with SPF 17 (so light and has nice coverage!)
- I also love this CC Cream Foundation with SPF 30 as an alternate option
- Full coverage airbrush foundation (this is so light and covers well)
- All-over face color (I use “a little sun” shade)
- Eye brightening shadow palette (the gold is awesome for summer!)
- Precise liquid felt tip eye liner (I love creating the classic winged look)
- Waterproof brow pencil (this has saved my eyebrows and lasts all day!)
- 3D Fiber Lashes mascara (these are great for a night out on the town)
- I also really LOVE this mascara
- Lucrative Lip Gloss (I love the “lovesick” shade–pretty and light for summer)
Some bonus tips!
• Cleanse LESS. Many folks with skin issues (particularly acne) wash their face 2-3 times per day. That’s crazy! By doing this, you strip your skin of natural oils, so it has to work hard to produce more oil, which can cause MORE breakouts. Doh. I personally only wash my face with soap when removing makeup. Otherwise, I rinse with warm water only.
• Change your pillowcase often. I’ve also heard silk pillowcases are great for your skin, but haven’t tried that myself. Seriously, who buys silk sheets?
• Don’t touch your face or pick your pimples! This only adds more dirt to your pores, as well as bacteria. Yuck!
• Try not to wear makeup every single day. It’s great to give your skin a break now and then.
So, what do you think? Do these tips sound doable? Leave a comment below and be sure to share with your friends!
Tried all of these and still can’t clear up your skin? Let’s chat and figure out a customized action plan just for you. Work with me HERE.