Whether you are looking to make a hearty soup for your weekly dinner or a fancy side this Christmas, Hot & Creamy Carrot and Cauliflower Soup|Vegan-Friendly is a perfect one that hit the notes. It’s quick and easy, delicious and nutritious, Budget-friendly, a real crowd pleaser and more importantly kids-friendly!
Some good, some bad, but so many memories attached to the month of December. I lost my dad in December 6 years ago, It’s my husbands, and my youngest son’s birthday, it’s Christmas, and it’s so damn cold.
Overwhelmed with studies and assignments, trying to be pleasant and entertain the kids along with the grown ups. No time for messing around, Dinner has to be quick.
For this recipe, I have used my instant pot, but do try a regular pot on the hob, a slow cooker or an oven. Of course, the time and method will vary plus the taste will be slightly different too.
Quick yes but deliciousness is key.
For me to save time and money (paying doctor and pharmacy) I have to make sure we get a healthy and nutritious meal at least 80% of the time, and it’s my responsibility do so
December also means extended expenses so eating on a budget without compromising quality is a must. This recipe is an excellent example
You see the colour in this recipe? I assure you, this vibrant carrot and cauliflower soup taste as good as it looks!
There was no messing around at dinner time! This soup is kids-friendly.
Note on the Paprika: Reduce the amount of paprika if feeding kids or if you are allergic to heat.
Can be made in a pot, slow cooker, instant cooker, pressure cooker, oven
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 500g of carrots roughly chopped
- Two celery sticks chopped
- One bay leaf
- One onion cut
- One head of cauliflower cut into big florets
- Three medium potatoes peeled and roughly diced
- One tablespoon of smoked paprika
- One tablespoon of cumin powder
- One tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 litre of vegetable stock or water
- One can of coconut milk
- Sunflower seeds for crunch & garnish (optional)
- Fry the onion in some oil. Add the celery and cook for about 3-5 minutes to release the aroma. Add the carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes. Throw in the potatoes and cauliflower. Add all the dry spices and stir. Cook for about 5 minutes to allow the vegetables to coat with the spices.
- Add the stock, season and cook for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are well cooked.
- Use a hand blender to blend the vegetable into a smooth cream. If soup is too dry, then add some more stock and simmer in low heat till it starts boiling. Be careful as the soup may splutter if it's too thick.
- Add the coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Add some freshly ground black pepper and serve with some sunflower seeds for crunch.
This soup can be cooked in a slowcooker, instant pot or a pressure cooker