Sweet Potato Flat Bread
Oh, it is a yummy and healthy sweet potato flatbread! I first saw a version of it in vegan lovelie, and I knew this is one of those I will be making soon.
I decided to have a go at it when some sweet potato mash left after making my eight months old baby’s food. The flatbreads are one of the easiest things to make once you have the sweet potatoes ready.
It can be done in advance as a lunch for kids or grown-ups, as a snack, breakfast or to replace rice or naan bread in a main. We had it with Mauritian Pilchards curry.
Different from the original recipe, I used coconut oil to brush the bread while cooking plus I used wholemeal Spelt flour.
Back at home, in Mauritius, the rotis are brushed with hydrolyzed vegetable oil. But keeping the healthy theme here I thought I’ll add a little more to this bread by adding coconut oil.
Coconut oil is classified as a superfood and has its unique combination of fatty acids that can have profound positive effects on health. The medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) in coconut oil can increase energy which in return leading to weight loss.
Sweet potato in the other hand is an excellent source of vitamin A. They are also an excellent source of vitamin C, which has many more benefits than just to aid with flu and cold.
One of the other advantages I was happy to learn was Vit C in sweet potato produces collagen which helps maintain skin’s youthful elasticity and is essential to helping us cope with stress.
So bring on the sweet potatoes. Well, there’s even more in sweet potatoes like manganese, copper, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, dietary fibre, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, and phosphorus.
All these help in our energy level, moods and much more. If you want to know a little more about how healthy and safe, sweet potato has a read at The world’s healthiest food
- 1 cup Boiled sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of Spelt Flour
- 1 table spoon Coconut oil
- Pinch of Pink Himalayan salt
- Boil or roast some sweet potatoes
- Peel the skin off
- Use a food processor or the back of a fork to mash the sweet potatoes
- Heat the sweet potatoes in the microwave for couple of seconds if it's cooled down because that will help in a softer bread
- Put the sweet potatoes in a big mixing bowl
- Now get both hands dirty adding flour to the sweet potatoes and mixing with your fingers. Add flour, mix and knead till you obtain a soft and elasticky dough.
- Make small balls about the size or smaller than a tennis ball.
- Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface.
- Take a ball at a time and roll it out adding more flour if it's sticking
- Cook on a hot skillet for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Add some coconut oil on each side every time you turn the rotis.
Sweet potato flat bread made spelt flour is perfect as a healthy snack, burritos or to pick a hot and delicious curry