This is the first time me using Buckwheat flour. I read about buckwheat flour being gluten-free and I had to try it out. Spelt flour is still far better than white refined flour but it contains gluten. Since I discovered a slight bloating after eating flour produce I am trying to reduce it from my diet but I still cook with it for the family.
Last week as most days in Ireland was a rainy and windy day. Stook in the house on a rainy day to me is a deja vu. 3 kids and myself in a dark and dreadful day. Doesn’t sound too good to me. I needed a project! I went into the kitchen and decided I was going to make something for the kids lunch, something they might like. I grabbed the buckwheat flour and decided to make some savoury crepes with them. It turn out quite crispy. With a slight nutty flavour. You can add sweet taste to it if you prefer that. I ate it with my coconut and chili pesto (I will share the recipe in my future post).
If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and don’t forget to tag a picture#everydaycookingwithmira on Instagram or Facebook so we can see what you come up with. Till then Keep Well!
Healthy Buckwheat Flour Crepes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Number of servings: 6
3 cups flour
3 cups almond milk
Pinch of salt optional
1/2 tea spoon of turmeric
1 table spoon of coconut oil
- Whisk the flour, salt, turmeric and milk into a runny batter.
- Heat a non stick frying pan.
- Grease it with some coconut oil
- Ladle 1/4 cup of the batter onto the pan and swirl with a spoon to create a thin crepe.
- When you see tiny bubbles on top then only flip the crepe and cook for 1 minute on the other side.
- Remove crepes and keep aside onto a warm plate.
- Repeat till the batter is all gone. Adjust the heat as you go. Too hot and the crepes will be burn. Too cold it will take longer to cook.