Curried Frozen Green Beans, Asparagus & Canned Mackerel? I know it sounds like a mishmash, but this simple, made under 20-minute recipe will surprise you. If you like a good curry, then this is definitely for you except you don’t have to run to your local chipper to get it. But this is not the best curry kind of post; it’s how to use your time and money efficiently.
This recipe was created on the spot, on one busy mad moment! I was starving. I had some leftover buckwheat noodle salad in the fridge that I wanted to use up. But it needed some flavour enhancement. A quick curry, I decided. Did I mention it was a Friday and not much left in the refrigerator?
My weekly shopping is usually on Saturdays, depending on the offers in the shop I purchase and prepare my weekly meals. However, it doesn’t always go as planned, with four kids life is unpredictable.
Thank goodness for my hoarding skills. My freezer and pantry are usually well- stocked with frozen green veggies, canned fish and beans. Hurray for my spice shelf too! Frozen veggies and canned food are a great help on a day like this, but they are also budget friendly. (Read label carefully)
Curried Frozen Green Beans, Asparagus & Canned Mackerel | Under 20 Minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 4
250g frozen green beans
Bunch of asparagus chopped into 2-3 inches, snap off the tough ends
1 can of mackerel
1 onion chopped
2 tomatoes or 1 table spoon of tomato puree
1 tea spoon of garlic paste
1 tea spoon of ginger paste
2 tablespoons of curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Heat a pan with some oil. Fry the chopped onion till slightly golden. Add the asparagus, reserving the tips for later as it needs less time to cook.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger garlic paste and the curry powder to the pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes. You can a drop of water if it sticks to the pan. Cook till the oil is separated and a paste is formed.
- Add the green beans and the rest of the asparagus and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or till beans are well thawed.
- Open the can and add the fish to the pan.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes. Try not to over cook the vegetables.
- This is a dry'ish curry. If you want more sauce then add about 1/4 cup of water and cook for few more minutes.
Don’t worry about the asparagus; you can add or leave it. I just happened to have some left. Although, it adds a crunchy texture to the dish. Here are a complementary Asparagus Biryani and a vegan Asparagus Frittata recipe.
And of course, vegetarians and vegans can use tofu or beans instead of the canned mackerel.
If you like curries, then try this Curried Frozen Green Beans, Asparagus & Canned Mackerel. It’s perfect for those busy weeknight dinners. Served with rice, naan bread, or some buckwheat noodles like I did. Put your rice to cook then start with the curry; it should both be ready in around 20 minutes depending on the quantity you are cooking.