Happy Mother’s day ladies! We can’t do without cake and chocolates can we? Yes we can’t but this cherry and chocolate cake with a delicious coconut cream topping is a treat that won’t leave you covered with that old guilt blanket. This cake is thought through with wise ingredients to balance the sweetness and richness. I made it with spelt flour but I believevyou could try it with rye or buckwheat flour instead. Dark chocolate will give it that bitter and rich sticky taste that almost makes it taste like something utterly forbidden. I had bought some fresh cherries from our local Supervalue as they were on offer but you could try blueberries, dates or raisins instead, I know I’d like to try! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. And I wish you a very happy, fun and restful Mother’s day. If you are a mother you deserve it. Shouldn’t there be a Mother’s day once a month instead of once a year? I think so…
Sugar & Dairy Free Cherry and Chocolate Cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 10
3 cups of spelt flour
3 medium size ripe banana Mashed
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
1/2 cup of pitted fresh cherries
Melted dark chocolate optional
1 can of coconut milk
handful of cherries
- Put the can coconut milk in the fridge for at least 6 hours if using the cream
- Preheat the oven at 180C
- Put the mashed banana, and coconut oil into a food processor. Mix all.
- Add the spelt flour and pulse till all are combined.
- Add the pitted cherries and melted dark chocolate and mix all.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes till the tester runs clear.
- Allow to cool completely
- For the topping
- Take the can out of the fridge, open and take ONLY the hard white part of the milk. Whisk for few minutes till it turns into a cream like texture
- Top it on the cake followed by the cherries.