Carrot Cake with Golden Syrup Frosting
450g Peeled Carrots
11/2 Cups Plain Flour
2tsp Baking Powder
1/2tsp Baking Soda
2tsp Ground Cinnamon
2tsp Vanilla Essence
1Cup dark brown Sugar
1/12 cup granulated sugar
300ml Sunflower Oil
75g Unsalted butter, at room temperature
375g Icing Sugar
50ml Maple Syrup
- Preheat the oven at 180°C. Line a 28 x 20cm/11 x 8in rectangular cake tin with non-stick baking paper and grease. Grate the carrots and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs until blended. Add the vanilla, sugars and oil and beat well to incorporate. Add the carrots, peanuts and raisins to the mixture, and fold in thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake until the cake springs back when touched lightly, 40-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then unmould and transfer to a rack.
- For the frosting, cream the butter with half the sugar until soft. Add the syrup, then beat in the remaining sugar until blended.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cake using a metal spatula.
- Cut into squares.