This week I am taking the cooking easy. It’s been a busy few days, and the system is feeling a little down. With work, kids and studies my Instant Pot comes so handily. I start the dinner and let it simmer without having to worry about burning the house down.
If you follow me on my social media, you would have seen me posting my weekly meal plan. But as it usually happens I don’t follow my plan, but it’s safe and comforting just to have the plan there, so I don’t stress out when it’s time to cook.
Along with some fresh food in the fridge, I always stock some canned beans and chopped tomatoes. There is an endless list of meal that can be made with beans and tomatoes. Beans and chopped tomatoes don’t require too mush cooking add in a few smart ingredients and you’ll have a lovely dish in no time!
- 1/2 table spoon of coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 inches of ginger crushed
- 4 leeks washed and chopped thinly
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tea spoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 tea spoons of cumin powder
- 1 table spoon of turmeric powder
- 2 cans of butter beans
- 2 cans of Red kidney beans
- 1 cup of mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups of spinach
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper
- 2 cans of water
- Heat a pot with oil. Add the onions and fry them till slightly browned. Add the leeks and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, crushed ginger and garlic, cumin, cayenne and turmeric powder. Cook for about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the beans and cook for a further 5 minutes then fill 2 of the empty cans with water and add it to the pot.
- Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the spinach.
- Check the seasoning and serve immediately!