I’m so happy with my bread! Making my own bread is new to me and I’ve failed miserably a few times before getting it right. It’s so satisfying to eat warm crusty homemade bread with butter melting on it, yum!
This is my own recipie for barley soup, it’s probably not unique but it’s mine anyway 😉 We had roast chicken yesterday so I used the left over chicken in the soup. ‘Waste not, want not’. All in all this is a homely, earthy meal. Something really nice to come home to, or so I’m told!
Chicken and Barley Soup with Homemade Crusty Bread
Soup Mix 1 cup
Barley 1/2 cup
Carrots Chopped 1 cup
Turnips Chopped 1 cup
Onion Chopped 1
Bay Leaf 1
Garlic Paste 1/2tsp
Shredded Cooked Chicken
- In a big pot, heat some oil or butter. Soften the onions then add the chopped carrots and turnips.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add the soup mix and the barley. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for around 45 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed.
- When vegetables are cooked and tender, add in the shredded chicken and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- NB: Soup mix is a dried mixture of pulses like barley,wheat, lentils, and a few other ones.